What to Do if You Find Mold in your Home.
Mold, as seen here, should always be removed by professionals.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold. Dead mold spores are just as harmful to the human lung as live spores. Bleach and other cleaners will not help, but may actually help the mold spread. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
· Stay out of affected areas.
· Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
· Contact SERVPRO for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
· Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
· Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
· Don’t attempt to dry the area.
· Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
What to do before and after a flood
A flood can be a devastating event for homes & businesses alike.
With flood waters rising in Blaine County, Custer County and all around the Treasure Valley, we wanted to share some tips to keep you safe! Minimize the pain of hiring the wrong company after a flood devastates your home or business.
What to do before a flood
- Create a detailed inventory of the contents of your home.
- Secure original insurance documents in a safe place – preferably a bank safe deposit box – and keep copies in your home in an accessible place that is not subject to flooding.
- Call your insurance agent to learn how to report a flood claim. Let them know you will be using SERVPRO for water removal and remediation.
- Set up an emergency contact address and phone number in the event you are unable to stay in your home – share this information with your insurance agent, your SERVPRO representative and your family.
What do to after a flood
- Call SERVPRO. Depending on the amount of flooding in your area, you want to make this call immediately to avoid a lengthy wait time. SERVPRO has national resources to handle multiple losses the right way. Contact your insurance agent and report the loss – have flood insurance policy information at the ready.
- Separate damaged and undamaged property; do all you can to protect undamaged property.
- Make a list of damages for the adjuster – if you have prepared a home inventory, this should be easy. SERVPRO can also assist with inventory.
- Take photos of all damage, including water lines on walls and cabinetry.
- Make a list of any areas of structural damage you want to point out to the adjuster.
- SERVPRO can begin to dry out the building and your personal property once the adjuster has approved the work.
- SERVPRO can provide a repair estimate for flood-damaged reconstruction.
Beware of scams after a flood
- If you do not use a restoration company like SERVPRO, you may be at risk from scammers who travel to flood zones to prey on affected homeowners.
- We recommend you obtain bids from multiple contractors, and request at least three references. We have vetted our contractors and can offer referrals when needed.
- Ask for proof of licenses, building permits, insurance, and bonding from contractors.
- If you do hire a contractor, record the contractor’s license plate number and driver’s license number; check for complaints with the Better Business Bureau.
- Call SERVPRO (208) 375-0300 for any and all questions. Not every company has your best interest in mind. Hire a company with staying power like SERVPRO who isn't here today for the flood, gone tomorrow.
- Contact: CONTACT US. Please note that you were referred via our blog. We'll get right back to you. Stay dry!
5 Things NOT to store in your garage
Clean your garage and reclaim your space!
With the onset of Spring in the Treasure Valley, most of us try to accomplish new goals, get a new fresh start. Getting healthy, organizing our homes, bettering our lives' always seem to be at the top of the list. One space to start cleaning and organizing is the garage! That extra storage area that easily becomes a catchall for excess items. We have compiled a list of items that should not be stored in your garage. Get them out and reclaim your space.
- Paint- Because the garage is prone to extreme temperature changes, paint should not be stored in the garage. Recycle paint according to your county guidelines or donate it.
- Electronics- If you are putting electronics out in the garage, you must not be using them. Donate these items because they can’t withstand the temperature fluctuations and will easily break.
- Propane and Hazardous Chemicals- Proper ventilation is key for storage of propane and hazardous chemicals. For safety reasons, these items need to be stored outside.
- Food- Keeping food in the garage is an open invitation to rodents and insects. Although shopping in bulk can save money, storing extra food in the garage will cause problems. The moisture and humidity will spoil the food. Find room in the house for food storage.
- Cardboard boxes- Insects, mice and other rodents love cardboard. Invest in waterproof plastic bins to store your items.
Hope these tips help you gain back your garage. Happy Cleaning from SERVPRO Boise!
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Boise is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops the Standards for The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Boise
SERVPRO of Boise specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
What to do if your Boise home has mold damage
This home had massive mold damage due to a long term leaking pipe.
For the vast majority of homeowners in Boise, mold damage does appear, at some point, in or around their property. And, a little spot of mold around the bathtub or the shower screen is nothing to be too concerned about. If it can be easily wiped away and does not produce a nasty smell, it is likely to be a good problem.
However, if you have spotted creeping patches of mold, which has an unpleasant odor, and makes the room feel clammy and uncomfortable, it is time to call in the experts. It could indicate a serious problem with mold damage. If this is the case, it needs to be handled by a professional team who can make sure that the unhealthy material is completely removed.
The first thing that will happen, after you have consulted a professional SERVPRO mold damage restoration service, is a discussion about containment. This may mean a number of different things, depending on how extensive the mold is and what type of spores you have in your home. If the problem is severe, containment may have to involve you temporarily moving out of the property.
However, this is quite a rare situation. Most homeowners take action early enough for it to be avoided. Partial containment helps restoration experts limit the spread of mold damage. Our professionals will seal off the problem area so that movement cannot dislodge and carry mold spores to other parts of the home. This is where heavy duty equipment will be set up to dry, repair, and treat the affected space.
The Outcomes of Mold Remediation
The primary goal of mold remediation is to restore the property to its pre-mold damage condition. In some cases, this will not be possible. If the damage is very extensive, there may be some parts of the building which cannot be saved. This is extremely rare, however, and a skilled mold restoration team is almost always able to bring a home back to full health.
The thing to remember is that the quicker you address the issue, the better the chance of a full recovery for your property. If you ignore what appears to be chronic mold, you risk the chance of it moving into walls and floors. This is much harder (and much more expensive) to repair, so invest your money in affordable prevention, rather than a costly cure.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
If you would like more information on hiring a mold damage restoration team, call SERVPRO of Boise at (208) 375-0300 today.
6 ways to know you’re from Idaho after surviving Snowpocolypse 2017
6 ways to know you’re an Idahoan after surviving Snowpocolypse 2017
- You know you’re a local if you’ve pushed, pulled, towed or used an ATV to move a car out of your neighborhood.
- You know you’re home if you’ve called every Home Depot, D & B and Lowes frantically looking for ice melt and snow shovels, then gotten so desperate you take to trolling Facebook for precious supplies. You only go out when someone spots said items on a sparsely stocked shelf.
- You know you’re a local if you’ve considered trading in your vehicle this winter, even though it’s “always been great in the snow!”
- You are home if hearing the joy in your children’s snow day squeals being replaced by moans, complaints and begging to go back to school. Just another day in paradise.
- Stay at Home moms’ began widely identifying with Jack Nicholson’s character from the Shining.
- If the word ice dam is now part of your vocabulary, congratulations, you’re one of us.
Why Professionals Should Clean Smoke Damage from a Fire
This home was damaged by a kitchen fire, the entire home had to be packed out and cleaned.
When firefighters leave, your home or business may seem safe from further destruction, but without professionals to help clean the smoke damage, the building will never return to normal. That’s why you can trust the professionals at SERVPRO of Boise to restore your home back to normal. Our team has the experience and the manpower to perform fire damage restoration services adequately.
Once the Fire is out, your home or business needs to be restored
Ash and smoke, if left unhindered, will cause extensive corrosion, etching and discoloration. There can also be very disruptive, powerful odors. The professionals at SERVPRO of Boise clean fire and smoke damaged to stop this before it becomes an extensive problem. There are many companies that advertise their ability to restore areas affected by fire, but only those with proper training and certification should be considered. The IICRC is the main oversight in this industry and requires its registrants to take extensive coursework before earning their certifications.
Start Restoration as Soon as Possible
Our professional can clean smoke damage and restore items affected by a fire, but they must be brought to our site as soon as possible to halt the ongoing issue that smoke residue can cause. After a few days ash will cause walls to discolor permanently, along with clothing and upholstery, wood and vinyl will need to be refinished or replaced, and metal will start corroding. Our team of experts will identify what can and cannot be salvaged and will assist in the removal of non-salvageable items. All of your items will be handled with the utmost care and documented using iCat Contents Management software immediately. The entire process takes extremely thorough cleaning and attention to detail. Hiring the professionals at SERVPRO of Boise will ensure your home or business is taken care of and returned to its pre-disaster state.
Reconstruction May be Necessary
In the event of a fire, water and smoke can drastically affect the structure of your home or business. This is why it is imperative to hire a team that can take care of all of your needs in one place. SERVPRO of Boise is proud to take care of our customers from start to finish; we will clean and restore your home or business and items and can also perform all of the reconstruction repairs to your property.
If you have had a fire, call us today! (208) 375-0300
SERVPRO® Signs On as National Sponsor for American Red Cross “Ready Rating” Program
This home was flooded due to a burst washing machine pipe.
Local disaster recovery professionals encourage property owners to incorporate free “Ready Rating” program into their emergency planning
SERVPRO®, a disaster recovery and cleanup Franchise System, has signed on as a national sponsor of the American Red Cross Ready Rating program, a free, self-guided program designed to help businesses, organizations and schools become better prepared for emergencies.
This partnership just makes perfect sense, and truly completes the readiness equation for businesses and other property owners in the area. The American Red Cross Ready Rating Program allows individuals to assess their readiness for a disaster, so they can take all necessary steps before disaster strikes to protect their property from damage and loss. But, when disaster does strike, knowing what to do and who to call saves time – and fast response is key to minimizing damage and downtime. That’s where SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Program can help. Together, these two programs offer maximum peace of mind to businesses and other organizations.”
“Through the generosity of SERVPRO, the Red Cross will be empowering workplaces to re-open more quickly after natural or man-made disasters such as water main breaks, medical emergencies, power outages, tornados, floods and hurricanes through the Ready Rating Program,” said Tom Heneghan, Manager of Business Continuity Programs, American Red Cross.
“Up to 40% of businesses never re-open their doors after such disasters; SERVPRO’s partnership will enable more businesses, schools and organizations to become better prepared. We are excited to have SERVPRO join us in community outreach efforts to educate and highlight the importance of community preparedness in neighborhoods across the country.”
With the approaching spring season comes the threat of severe weather – such as high winds, downpours, flash flooding, fires caused by lightning strikes and even tornadoes spawned by thunderstorms – SERVPRO® urges all property owners to visit the American Red Cross Ready Rating website now at http://readyrating.org to complete a 123-point self-assessment of their level of preparedness for weather-related or other emergencies. Aligned with the federal government's Private Sector Preparedness standards, the Ready Rating assessment offers businesses, organizations and schools access to tools, tips and best practices to help improve their level of preparedness.
Keys to the program are the following Five Essential Steps to Preparedness – the cornerstones of the Ready Rating program:
- Commit to Preparedness
- Conduct a Hazard Vulnerability Assessment
- Develop an Emergency Response Plan
- Implement your Emergency Response Plan
- Help Your Community Get Prepared
The time to prepare for a disaster is before it happens. Taking steps to make your property as secure as possible, then having a plan to deal with the aftermath if disaster does strike is just good business and common sense. At SERVPRO, we can help you create a disaster recovery plan now, specific to your facility so that – if you need us – we can help you get back in business fast.”
SERVPRO® specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup and repair services, helping to remediate damage, making it “Like it never even happened,” for both commercial and residential customers. For more information on the American Red Cross Ready Rating program, please visit http://readyrating.org/
Water Damage Recovery Defined
This garage was flooded by a water heater bursting.
Water Damage Recovery Defined
It is very important to make sure water damage recovery is done properly when you are coping with the consequences of a flood or house fire. There is a lot that goes into water damage recovery, and you should understand how crucial it is do know all about the possible dangers of events that could take place when you are going through the recovery process in your house. It is important to understand that you should not be attempting to take on the process all by yourself; you should always enlist the help of a professional restoration company. This is because a professional company will have the needed expertise, experience, and equipment to go through the process in a safe and effective manner. When you are trying to figure out the ideal way to go about the water damage recovery process, it may be beneficial to be knowledgeable about what it entails.
The Water Damage Recovery Process Entails Removing Excess Water from Your House
One of the key parts of water damage recovery is that the process entails removing and cleaning up any excess water that is in your house after a flood or house fire has taken place. Within 24 hours of either of these events, mildew and mold can potentially start to grow and thrive in your home. As such, it is extremely important that you start cleaning up the excess water right away. If you do not do this, the secondary damage (mildew, mold, bacteria, etc.) that can develop can actually cause more destruction to your home than the original flood or house fire did. There are several steps involved in cleaning up water damage that is in your house, and among the most crucial of these steps is drying up the excess water, so that you stop any growth of mildew and mold. When you hire a professional company for this purpose, they will use industrial-grade dehumidifiers to cause the excess water in your house to evaporate, and then begin the repairs that are needed on your house. Make sure to remember that you should enlist the help of a professional when you are dealing with water damage. You should not enter your home after a flood or house fire without the approval of a professional, as you do not know if it is safe to do so without this.
The Water Damage Recovery Process Entails Reparation and Restoration of Your House
The SERVPRO Boise water damage recovery process involves not only the cleaning and removal of excess water, but the repairing of areas in your home and restoration of the building to how it was before the event. Your home may have structural and/or electrical damage if the water damage is severe. Before you can safely move back in, a professional restoration company will need to do the appropriate repairs, which could potentially take several weeks or several months if the damage is severe. In order to figure out which repairs need to be done, it is important to hire a professional company, who can give you an accurate assessment.
When your home needs to go through a water damage recovery process, it is important that you consult a professional restoration company, because they will have all of the resources that will enable them to take on the task. Additionally, they can have several different contractors on site at the same time to make sure that your home will be safe for you to enter. If you would like to know more about these companies, contact a professional company with any questions you may have.
Water Damage Restoration
Basement flooding or storm damage doesn't wait for regular business hours and neither do we. We respond to your residential or commercial water removal and cleanup needs. Our fast response time and advanced drying methods help prevent secondary damage and mold. Common causes of water damage are:
- Flooding caused by severe weather
- Plumbing leaks
- Sink, bathtub or toilet overflow
- Sewage backup
Water Leaks Can Cause Mold Damage
This mold was caused by a leaking drainage line from a washing machine.
Water Leaks Can Cause Mold
A leaky faucet in your home can be very annoying, but it has the potential to be much more than an annoyance. The moisture caused by leaks can make your home into the perfect environment for Spring mold growth. Mold spores may cause health effects and can grow rapidly if you fail to notice a leak shortly after it starts, especially in humid climates. Knowing the risks that mold presents and quickly fixing your water leaks can help to protect your home from mold growth.
About Mold Growth
Mold growth will begin in areas of your home that are wet. The mold spores will land on moist surfaces and then start to germinate. The materials on which mold can grow include:
• Painted surfaces
Indications of Mold Growth Due to Water Leaks
If you see black and white spots in the area of the leak, this is a sign that you have mold. Kitchens and basements are some of the areas in your home where there is a high risk of mold growth as these areas are prone to leaks. It is therefore important that you properly maintain your plumbing fixtures.
Preventing Mold Growth after Fixing Leaks
If you discover a water leak, have it fixed as soon as possible to minimize the potential for mold growth. After the leak has been fixed, use a mild detergent to wash the area and then allow it to dry completely. After it has dried, thoroughly wipe the area with bleach to kill any spores present. Boric acid also effective at killing mold spores and can be used as a substitute for bleach. Be sure to keep kids and pets out of the area while handling chemicals.
Get Professional Assistance
If there is a part of your home that is prone to water leaks, contact a plumber. If there are hidden problems that are causing leaks to recur, you may not be able to find them yourself. A licensed plumber who is experienced at finding and fixing leaks will be better able to find and fix the issues. Your plumber will also be able to advise you on how to maintain your plumbing to prevent water leaks and mold growth in the future.
Microscopic mold spores exist almost everywhere, outdoors and indoors, making it impossible to remove all molds from a home or business. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.